Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
In my process of being weaned, there are moments of discouragement. Falling tears leak my memory from my mind, making biblical truths difficult to recall. In order to compose and quiet my soul, I need to talk myself through what I know to be true though. A written list is helpful during these times; it reminds me of what I know to be true and prompts right thinking. Following is my list, provided for a special someone in need. A pdf version without links is provided at the end of the post for anyone desiring a printed version of truths “on hand” for those difficult moments.
- God is sovereign and in control. (Job 42:2, Matthew 19:26, Isaiah 43:13, Romans 9:19-21)
- He has preordained all of my days. (Psalm 139:16, Acts 4:28, Ephesians 2:10, Job 14:5)
- He sees and knows what is going on right now and has allowed it for a reason. He has a plan for me. (Psalm 139:16, Jeremiah 29:11)
- He is wise and knows how all of this will fit into the big picture. He has me right where He wants me to be. (Romans 8:28, Colossians 1:16-17)
Where He Put Me
- He is with me. (Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 23, Hebrews 13:5, Matthew 28:20, Joshua 1:9)
I AM With You
- He cares about what is happening, and He loves me. (Isaiah 54:10, Romans 8:38-39, Matthew 10:29-31)
Embracing My Trials
- He will hold onto me. (John 6:39, Isaiah 41:10)
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
- He will provide help each day. (Lamentations 3:22-23, Matthew 6:26-33, Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 23)
- He will provide strength for me to endure this and hold onto my faith to the end. (Ephesians 6:10-12, Psalm 46:1, Isaiah 40:31, Isaiah 41:10, John 16:33, Psalm 18:2, Psalm 91:1-2, Philippians 4:13, Habakkuk 3:17-19)
Yet I will Exult in the Lord
- Even though this doesn’t feel good right now, God is working good in it. (Romans 8:28)
- I am saved, not in hell where I deserve to be. Anything this side of that is pure grace; I have blessings. (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23)
My Cup Runs Over
- There will come a day when all the pain, tears, and sin will be gone. (Revelation 21:3-4)
What Moths and Rust Cannot Destroy
- It is a short time until then. I don’t have to have what I want now; I can wait. (Hebrews 10:37, John 16:16, 1 Peter 1:6-9)
- THEREFORE – I can trust Him and not be afraid. (Psalm 56, Psalm 91, Philippians 4:6-7, John 14:27, Psalm 94:19, Isaiah 43:1, Psalm 23:4, Joshua 1:9, Psalm 27:1, Isaiah 41:13-14, Psalm 46:1)
I Will Trust
Dwelling on these truths when I am discouraged or distressed may feel mechanical at first. However, the Holy Spirit uses them to remind me that God knows what He is doing, loves me, and is trustworthy. I can rest as a weaned child does with his mother, because the God of peace is with me.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.